Here are a few ways to make your new house feel more like home:
1. Give it a new coat of paint. Have any rooms with wall colors you aren’t too fond of? Change them right after you move in. In addition to personalizing the home, sometimes doing the work to paint a room can make it feel more like your own.
2. Replace fixtures and finishes. Update the fixtures or finishes to give it that personal touch. The details of a home are what make it truly special, so changing up a few fixtures is a relatively cheap and easy way to lay claim to your new space.
3. Unpack completely. Moving is exhausting, and it’s all too easy to only unpack what you need and to leave the rest boxed up for a week…or two…or to just keep it packed and to move it into storage. Unpacking everything as soon as you can is another way to make a space feel like it really belongs to you. It’s hard to feel otherwise when you see it filled with your belongings.
4. Hang wall art and personal photos. After you’ve unpacked, start hanging up your art and photos. Seeing your favorite works of art and family photos will be a great reminder that this is now your space. This is your home!
5. Have a housewarming party! Invite your friends and family over to celebrate your new address! Have dinner or drinks or whatever makes you feel at home, and share it with the people closest to you.
Congratulations on your new home! Remember that sometimes it does take a while to adjust to new surroundings (especially if you really liked your old surroundings), but a new place is a new opportunity to make it uniquely yours.
After a move, how did you make your house feel more like home? Share in the comments!