Congratulations on your new home! Now it’s time to start packing and getting everything ready for your moving date. A little planning and organization can make the process a lot less stressful, so here are a few things to consider before, during, and after a move.
- Schedule to have all of your utilities turned off on the day you move out, and make sure that the utilities will be on at your new home when you arrive.
- Keep a separate box with any important information pertaining to the new house. If there are any immediate problems, you’ll want to easily locate the documents you need instead of having to dig through everything.
- Change your address with the postal service, banks, doctors, credit cards and magazine subscriptions. It can sometimes take a little while to change everything over, so don’t put this off until the last minute.
- Before you leave, make sure that your water, furnace, A/C, and other utilities are all shut off.
- If any problems do arise, stay calm and handle them rationally.
- Lock and shut all windows and doors.
- Double check that you haven’t left anything behind.
- Test all major appliances, and make sure that they are working . Report or fix any problems immediately.
- Notify friends and family of your new address if you haven’t already.
- Apply for a new license (if applicable), register your vehicle, and register to vote.
- Get to know the community. Find out where your police and fire stations are, as well as libraries, restaurants, and entertainment.
What are some other things that you’ve done before, during, or after a move that helped make it a painless experience?