This October, start the month off right by prepping your home for cooler weather. By making sure that your home is in working order right now, you prevent having to deal with any problems later in the season. Here are 5 things you should do this month to keep your home in good shape.
1. Have the chimney cleaned (and inspected if it’s been a while). Before you even think about starting a fire in your fireplace, you need to have it professionally cleaned. Build up and residue can pose a very serious threat if not properly dealt with, so make an appointment today.
2. Find and seal any air leaks. Small openings around windows and doors might not seem like a big deal, but they can let cold air in and heat escape. If left unsealed, you’ll see higher heating bills and also invite critters to find their way indoors.
3. Clean your windows and power wash the exterior of your house before it gets too cold out. Water and cold temperatures don’t mix well, so wash everything before it gets too chilly to do it.
4. Get your plants ready for cooler weather. Trim trees and bushes, and make sure that your potted plants can withstand the drop in temperature.
5. Make sure that your furnace is properly working. You don’t want to wait and find out that it’s broken when you need it.